Trekker - Travel the world

Cuenca - Ecuador Travel Information

Photos from Cuenca

הקתדרלה החדשה של קוונקה (2003) Catedral de la Inmaculada כנסייה - קוונקה (2003) Cuenca - Church כנסיית סנטו דומינגו - קוונקה (2003) Church of Santo Domingo

(Santa Ana de los Ríos de Cuenca)

The city of Cuenca (or actually Santa Ana de los Ríos de Cuenca) is located in a valley surrounded by the Andean mountains in the south of Ecuador. This colonial city is today the third largest city in Ecuador.

Cuenca was founded in 1557 based on a detailed plan by the Spanish king Charles the fifth, and 400 years later it still preserves the same structure more or less, though most of the structures in Cuenca are from the 18th century, and the city continues its modernization process even today.



UNESCO declared Cuenca in 1999 as a World Heritage Site.

El Sagrario - The Old Cathedral

The El Sagrario cathedral, also known as the old cathedral, was built on the ruins of a building dating to the Inca period, and today one can still see parts of the old building intertwined into the new building. Building of the cathedral initiated in 1557 when Cuenca was founded. The cathedral is located in the city?s main square, Parque Abdón Calderón.

Catedral de la Inmaculada - The New Cathedral

The construction of the new cathedral started in 1885, but it was only finished in 1967. Originally, the cathedral was designed to be South America?s biggest cathedral, but a calculation error was made by the engineers who built its foundations, and the cathedral?s size was reduced significantly so it would not collapse. The cathedral is lit by stained glass windows, and the interior is decorated with a golden altar. Also in the cathedral is a famous image of the virgin merry with a crown. The new cathedral is on the other side of Cuenca?s main square.

Church of Santo Domingo

The Church of Santo Domingo is the second largest church in Cuenca. On its front there are two brick towers over 40 meters high. The church is located between Gran Colombia street and Padre Agu street.